About Me

My photo
NC girl who loves Jesus, Robbie, William, family, friends, Walt Disney World, all things pink, and monogrammed!

Sara & Robbie

Sara & Robbie
Met in a small town. Moved to a big city. Married 6 years. Owe it all to God's grace.

William Carter

William Carter
Born on 9/22/11. Loves his Mama fiercely, babies, Disney, playing his heart out, his friends and family.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Build 'Em Up: Friendships

 


 Well, I never thought I would be doing a link up on Kelly's Korner or Blue Eyed Bride, but here I am! :) Four great bloggers are doing a series called Build 'Em Up, to build moms up and encourage. Every other Tuesday has a different topic, and this week's was Friendship. I just could NOT pass up writing about this. Friendship is a very important part of life, and very dear to my heart.


As I have gotten older, friendships have changed SO much in my life. My high school friends were my BFF's. I totally thought we would be friends forever. After college, lots of things changed. We all went our separate ways and got married, had kids, etc. My whole life changed and I had to rely on the friends who stuck by me through it all. I am so lucky to still have SO many friends from childhood. Even though we may not talk all the time, when we do talk or see each other, it is so easy to just pick right up where we left off!



Since having William, I have realized more and more how much I need close friends. Even though I work during the week, sometimes I still want that togetherness with moms and their babies. William needs friends too!! Luckily, a few of my best friends started having babies right around the same time as me, so William has lots of little buddies, and I have lots of mommy playdates as well. ;)




Friends at work are also important. I am SO lucky, and work with some great girls that I just love! We have a great time together all day long.



It is also important for Robbie and I to have couple friends together. It is always so fun to get together with another couple and just hash out what's been going on. Laughing, crying, whatever! We have met so many new friends at church. Church is such an easy place to meet people - not just by sitting in a pew, but by getting involved in a Sunday school class, or going to events! In all honesty, having a child makes it easier to make friends, haha! I think it gets harder to make friends as you get older, and William definitely makes it easier because people start talking to me, asking how old he is, etc. We always have something we can discuss, if we both have kids haha! I also have met SO many friends via blogs! Robbie always will ask me, now how do you know her? And I quietly admit, "I read her blog." He just laughs. But seriously, in the past year, I have met almost all of the ladies who write the blogs I read, and they are super and definitely friends!!



And let's not forget the built in best friendships you have if you are lucky enough to have a sibling. :)



Being married, having a job, having kids, moving away. All of these things drastically reduce the time you can spend nurturing friendships. As you get older, maintaining friendships takes more work. Even a simple text to say, "I was thinking about you and miss you", can make someone's day and totally keep the friendship alive! I have many friends that we don't talk all the time, but we randomly call on the way to or from work, or text all day...and that helps to keep up with each other!! And when the stars align and all of our schedules work out for us to get together "in real life"? It is just great!!! So, let's all take some time out today and text those friends and just thank them for their friendship!!! :)

5 comments:

  1. Well said! I could not agree more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are a blog friend! Perhaps one day we can become shopping friends! Debating if I'll post and link up...this was definitely my favorite topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you brought up two awesome points i forgot in mine! friends that are couples - love that time with me and my husband when we both enjoy the friends. and my siblings! oh my word i forgot them. heehee. they are pretty awesome. enjoyed seeing your wonderful photos and friends. thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear I've commented twice from my phone, but never showed up!,

    <3 y'all! And it makes me think of the songs, "That's what friends are for" and "The graduation song"! So happy we have kids growing up together like we did! So blessed! We've been slack so hopefully we can have a family date night or adults night out soon! Or both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for linking up with us today and for sharing your friendship wisdom. I love how you talk about the need to have friends once your son arrived. It's such a busy time, but so important to make the time to spend with friends during that period in our lives.

    ReplyDelete