About Me

My photo
NC girl who loves Jesus, Robbie, William, family, friends, Walt Disney World, all things pink, and monogrammed!

Sara & Robbie

Sara & Robbie
Met in a small town. Moved to a big city. Married 6 years. Owe it all to God's grace.

William Carter

William Carter
Born on 9/22/11. Loves his Mama fiercely, babies, Disney, playing his heart out, his friends and family.

Monday, May 13, 2013

Bringing Up BOY!


Y'all, there is something that is on my mind a lot. For those of you who don't know me, I am a total planner. In every aspect. My wedding was planned to a tee, my pregnancy was mapped out, William's nursery was planned, etc. In my little world, everything is smoother when I'm in control when there is a plan. But there is one thing that I only have so much control over - William. Adult William, that is. I know it is a LONG way off, but I know that instilling the values in him starts early! Like, now!

I have always been called a nerd. I pretty much listened to the warnings my mom and dad gave me, and avoided whatever it was they were telling me to. I am very consequence-driven and was terrified of getting in trouble. How can this pass down to William?! How does he take what Robbie and I say, and believe it? For the most part, anyway. I understand he will not be perfect. And will we love him through any mishaps? Of COURSE!

How we do make sure that he loves God first, especially in a world where loving God is becoming more and more "uncool". How to make sure that he is not a bully, but doesn't get bullied? I hate bullying. I am so passionate about it. It makes me sick to think about what some of these kids deal with on a daily basis. How do I make sure he will make a good husband?! To love his wife unconditionally, never cause her heartache, be a good provider, and one day, a wonderful father?? How to not get involved in drugs, alcohol, "the wrong crowd". How to realize that grades are supremely important and are the key to many successes in his future? How to make him gentle and loving and so very thoughtful, but not a mama's boy that is made fun of? How to keep him in smocked longall's until he is 20 (KIDDING!!!!!!!!)

I know that the biggest thing is to lead by example. But I have no experience with boys. Robbie does a great job of helping me around the house, cooking, and drops everything as soon as he walks in the door to play with William, or help with whatever needs to be done. So at least he has that example. But, there are so many other things!!! I want him to hold open the door every.time.he.sees.a.woman.coming. I want him to call me when he is grown. Stand up when a woman comes to the table. Not be afraid to hug me. Respect his girlfriend/wife in every situation. Have good manners. Make good grades. Love Jesus. Teach others to love Jesus. Go to college and finish. Stand up for what he believes in. Protect the kid being bullied.

Sorry for the rant. Some days you just need to. And I know moms of girls have worries, too. But I just always feel a huge responsibility to raise a respectful, gentlemanly man. I think the best compliment you can receive as a mama is to hear that you are doing a good job, that your child has good manners, and good behavior. I know we have a long way to go. We are both learning along the way. It may not be a perfect road, but I am positive that he will always make me proud.


5 comments:

  1. So well said, Sara! I think all we can ask of ourselves is to do our very best daily. It won't always be easy, we already know this! But having seen you with William first hand, and your other friends can most likely agree, you two do an AMAZING job with him! I couldn't agree more with what you said.

    On a different note, at brunch yesterday this lady stopped to tell us Davis was an "unusually beautiful" baby. Thanks? To me, he will always be beautiful, but if I was fishing for a compliment, I would want people to tell me how well behaved he was at a restaurant (which isn't his norm), outside on a busy patio, hours past his nap time! Respect and Manners, a mother's motto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture of you two! I agree there is so much to teach them and so little time. We can do all things through Christ who gives us Strength. Hope He is ready because I am going to need a lot of strength!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl moms worry about raising them to want to find and be worthy of a man like you'll raise William to be! It is overwhelming to think of all we must instill in them. Luckily we have one day at a time to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And this is why we bring back arranged marriages...lol (kidding, but kinda wish we could...never understood why people wanted to do it, until I had a daughter). It is scary to think about their futures, so I try to just focus on and enjoy the present. After all, it is called the present because it truly is a gift. Love you sweet friend, and you are doing a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet post! I think all of us Mamas worry about the kind of adults we are raising. SO weighty, but thankfully there's grace for each moment.

    ReplyDelete