About Me

My photo
NC girl who loves Jesus, Robbie, William, family, friends, Walt Disney World, all things pink, and monogrammed!

Sara & Robbie

Sara & Robbie
Met in a small town. Moved to a big city. Married 6 years. Owe it all to God's grace.

William Carter

William Carter
Born on 9/22/11. Loves his Mama fiercely, babies, Disney, playing his heart out, his friends and family.

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Yes, We Elf


This year, we started Elf on the Shelf. I have had the box tucked away since I bought it two years ago. In fact, I still thought William was too young this year. Our good friend, Willie, helped convince me that he would "get it" this year, and it would be fun! So here we are. 

Now, I will address that not everyone is keen on the elf. And that is totally fine. We have not put hardly any emphasis on the whole naughty/nice and reporting to Santa bit. William is just having so much fun coming downstairs and finding him in the morning. Just a little bit of Christmas magic, before he is all grown up and doesn't care about these things. He can still tell you whose birthday we celebrate on Christmas Day, and requests "Bible" aka Jesus Loves Me as his bedtime song. Fear not! We are definitely making sure he understands the reason for the season.

So! The elf arrived on December 3rd (a little behind according to most people haha!) I wrote him a letter from his elf, and set that, the book, elf and a pair of EotS pj's that I found at Wal Mart months ago, outside. I rang the doorbell and ran down the hall and told William to come see who was at the door. He flew down the hall, and then quickly stopped because he saw the elf! He was so funny!! I have a video of all of this, and it wouldn't load. But I am going to keep trying, because the video is hilarious. William bent down and touched the elf, which is a no-no, and I let out a huge gasp! And he freezes, and drops him. Robbie and I were laughing so hard. Anyway, we came inside and I read him the letter and book, and then we got to naming him. The child is supposed to name him, but of course with a two year old, you never know what they will come up with. I threw out a few suggestions that I found on Pinterest, but the name he chose was Max, after the Grinch's dog. We just watched the Grinch last week, and he is obsessed. After the naming ceremony, he retreated to the mantle and watched us decorate the tree. ;)



Running to the door!







Max watched us from the fireplace for the rest of the evening.
Hilarious text from Willie about the "elf situation"

That night, Max made snow angels in sugar!! He was waiting on the kitchen table when William got up. Since it was a workday, I was gone the next morning. Robbie was sweet enough to take a video of him coming downstairs and looking for Max. I love how you can hear him saying "Find Max" and "RiRi see". So far, he has been VERY interested in finding him in the morning. It shocks me! Every morning, he has come down and found him right away! Then he goes up high and just watches us all day. I was so hesitant, but it has turned out to be so much fun!!!



 








3 comments:

  1. We elf too! We don't put a lot of emphasis on the behavior part. And ours is pretty boring...not pulling pranks or doing anything special. But you are right in that it's another bit of magic that we can give them for a short time. And you are exactly right that you can know why we celebrate Christmas and have an elf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Elf! I know there is a stigma, blah blah blah! It's all in fun! ;-)
    Molly and Claire's elf will step up his game next year hopefully! And maybe we will decide on a name!? Let us all enjoy our kids in this innocent age as long as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Elf is at our house this year too- first time ever! The kids have LOVED it much more than I thought, and finding him in a different place each morning is a source of serious anticipation around here. Thus far our elf has not been naughty, but he may have some tricks up his sleeve...:)

    ReplyDelete