About Me

My photo
NC girl who loves Jesus, Robbie, William, family, friends, Walt Disney World, all things pink, and monogrammed!

Sara & Robbie

Sara & Robbie
Met in a small town. Moved to a big city. Married 6 years. Owe it all to God's grace.

William Carter

William Carter
Born on 9/22/11. Loves his Mama fiercely, babies, Disney, playing his heart out, his friends and family.

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Everything's Changed...

This past week, Robbie, William, and I vacationed at his parents house in moyock. It was a nice, relaxing time. We usually are in such a rush when we come home, we decided just to spend a few days relaxing and seeing people we usually don't have a chance to see!

I will blog more details of our trip later (we had a birthday celebration for Robbie and a super fun trip to Busch Gardens), but for now, I am riding in the car beside Robbie, with a sleeping baby in the backseat, and just reflecting. 

When I was in high school I thought it was going to be so sad to leave Elizabeth City. I hated to leave my parents and my very best friends. Luckily, a few of those best friends were right with me in Raleigh. Now that I've been gone TEN (can't believe it!) years, I can't imagine anywhere but Raleigh being home. 

If this is such a happy place, then why are my eyes tearing up thinking about it?! Why have I had more than one moment of sadness cripple me as we drove around all my old hangouts?? I kept telling Robbie, "everything has changed". He keeps asking me what I mean. I'm not sure how to put it into words. Sure, the buildings, shops, neighborhoods have all changed. So many places that made my childhood are gone and boarded up. On the other hand, so many things are still around! Still, sadness. 

On the way to Shelley's house, I passed a lot of roads I used to travel on with my best friends, usually stalking guys! ;) I told Robbie, many a gas tank was wasted traveling up and down this road haha! 

Now after ten years that have completely flown by, Elizabeth City doesn't hold the same magic that it used to. Maybe it's because we've finally found our niche in Raleigh. Maybe it's because I'm married and have such a wonderful blessing in William. Maybe it's because mama and hannah moved there, and that brings "home" to me. Whatever the reason, I am thankful for EC and all that has changed in my life since I left. 

There is a lot less worry now about what others think (living in a small town does that to you), friends who you thought were lifelong are now just names you very rarely say. Not to say there aren't things I miss there. To name a few: Erica, Shelley, Tiffany, my Daddy, my aunt and uncle, Robbie's parents, Scott, Pam and Jeremiah, Wildflower's grilled chicken over pasta, Cypress Creek's crab dip, Big Daddy's burnt cheese pizza, Nu-quality's awesome ice cream, 3 amigos' crazy good white dip, In Stitches' wonderful monogramming, and of course, the place I met Robbie, and the reason I've lived the life I have - Jennette Brothers. 

Elizabeth City will always hold a special place in my heart. Many memories, both good and bad, were made there. But to tell you the truth, home is where my husband and baby are, and for now, that is Raleigh, and I couldn't be more happy. I can't wait to get home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment